Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

This summer my husband and I listened to Malcolm Gladwell's most recent publication, Outliers. It is a phenomenal exploration of how opportunity, luck, and birth year create particularly good circumstances for one to succeed. The reason why I'm just now posting about it is because a friend who participates in a book club with me selected it as the book he wants to discuss next. I'm happy that I have the opportunity to revisit the work and the opportunity to go and purchase the paper version of it. It really excites me that someone out there is taking a sociological perspective on success. This work in particular is very well written and Gladwell does a good job of unpacking and demystifying success. I can't wait to re-read it and then get my hands (or ears) on Gladwell's next piece of work.

Cheers,
Jamie :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow Malcolm Gladwell has crazy hair. I really like your blog Janelle. Its fun to read. Is it an extra credit project for a class? I'll be going to college next year so its exciting to see what college students write about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your interest! It's Jamie by the way. No, this isn't a extra credit project even though it would be awesome to receive college credit for it. I teach college freshman writing and research and I hope that I can encourage my own students to start blogs. Thanks again for reading.

    Best,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete