Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cervical Cancer Vaccine: My Opinion

Even though I am now too old to receive the cervical cancer vaccine also known as Gardasil, I am personally against the vaccine, which might surprise some of you. I am all for other vaccines and am happy that researchers and physicians have started researching cancers that specifically affect over half the population, but I am rather skeptical of a vaccine that could affect reproduction. Several decades ago (and even in just a few decades ago) some birth control pills were known to have negative side effects such as sterilization. This is in part why I am skeptical of the vaccine. I did not want to put my own reproductive health in jeopardy since my husband and I hope in a year or two to have a baby. If I was younger or if the vaccine had been out longer, I probably would've gotten it. I believe many life threatening diseases and viruses can be overcome by being vaccinated and I will most definitely have my children properly vaccinated, but since I was on the cusp of being too old as well as relatively close to having children, I decided against the vaccine. This of course was a decision I discussed with my husband. I think every woman should make an educated decision about how to vaccinate and treat her body. For me, I decided to not get vaccinated. I understand the risks that I'm taking with my body and am fully prepared to live (or die) because of my decision.

2 comments:

  1. So would you have your daughter vaccinated, even if, as you say, it might affect her future fertility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would assume that by the time I have a daughter and she reaches the age where she may receive the vaccine, I will be fine with it. By this time, the vaccine would have been on the market for many years and any problems with fertility will hopefully be circumvented.

    ReplyDelete